Sunday, October 12, 2008

Where All My Dreams Came True

Disneyland, like Jesus, is many things to many people. A theme park, the most magical place on earth, a crowded, annoying, overpriced area with little kids running around and obese moms walking slower than turtles. To me, it was all of these things combined.

Our friend Brendan,who works at corporate Disney, hooked us up with free tickets (usually $94). While I don't know if I'd pay full price, I ended up having lots of fun.

In my life, I have shifted from being a Disney-hater to being indifferent about the entertainment behemoth. This left me with the worry that I’d be disappointed by Disneyland. As a child I remember being excited and enthralled by the place. This is despite the fact that when I was four I tried to mimic my sister and stand on top of the railing bars in line, ultimately falling and requiring five stitches in my chin.
The best thing about Disneyland, something that is lost on most children, is the detailing. The ambiance of main street with its faux old-fashioned shops and impeccably clean streets gave the park a sharp contrast to ghetto places like Six Flags. Every line for each ride had its own unique design such as steel spikes with impaled skeletons for Indiana Jones or the life-size animatronic C3PO for Star Tours. It’s hard to explain, but something really did feel different (maybe not quite “magical”) about Disneyland. Even as we walked 100 yards across the way and entered California Adventure some indescribable feeling was lost.

Throughout the day we planned, strategized and executed efficiently (is there any other way to live life?) to go on the most rides in the shortest period of time. We utilized the FastPass system, which helped us to jump from ride to ride never waiting for more than a few moments. Our hit list includes such favorites as: Pirates of the Caribbean, Space Mountain, Indiana Jones, Matterhorn, Splash Mountain, Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride, Buzz Lightyear (surprisingly fun), and Big Thunder Railroad. In California Adventure Park we were much less successful and only made it on Tower of Terror (pretty good) and Maliboomer (like an inverted Drop Zone).

While we probably wouldn’t have paid the outrageous prices to get into the park, it was certainly a great day and I will hold my criticism of those overgrown kids (Terra, I’m looking at you) who claim it is the most magical place on earth.

Thanks again Brendan!!

No comments: